80's cartoons character design
Submitted by Pepius on February 18, 2004 - 11:49
Well, I opened this thread to talk a bit about just that, character designs from those nostalgia-filled saturday morning cartoons from the eighties, when more or less mos of us (I assume) were kids. I'm referring to not only the character looks, but its personality too. (I'd prefer to leave the voice out since it's kinda pointless when most of the people have known that stuff dubbed in its own language)
Ok, I'll start with some:
Transformers (the original series)
- StarScream: well, he was a backstabbing bastard, (even more in the comic), and had cool wings and arm lasers. The only down for me was his color scheme, I always liked the purple jet more.
- SoundWave: nothing special by itself, he had the uber-cool cassete tape robots, though (Ravage, Buzzsaw, Ratbat, and so on), which meant kudos for him
- Megatron: pure evil + badass cannon = coolness! I didn't like his wimpy pistol form, though, and more black would have added extra coolness
- Optimus Prime: maybe excessively righteous, but we kids adored him! (he also was a badass fighter for being such a pacifist). Is convoy transforming issues are a mistery yet today (o^.-)o
-Dinobots: Big. Brute. Kicked arses all the time. Plus, they tranformed into dinosaurs and had special "powers"
Dungeons and Dragons
- Venger: da coolnez!!oneone! He was evil, huge, menacing, had wings, magic powers, the uber-stallion (actually a nightmare, I know, clam down), and that big sigle horn. Cool I tell you, Cool!
- Shadow: not much to say about it, but a winged shadow is always cool, even more with those red eyes...
- Tiamat: 5 heads, period (Her main one looked kinda goofy, though)
- Hank: he had the coolest costume and weapon of the lot, and was the team hero. In one episode, he threw a light arrow even WITHOUT his bow (kamehameha anyone?)
- Dungeon Master: Â¡Pujoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool! XD (Ok, spanish joke, he looked just like a spaniard politician. Look for "Pujol" in google and you'll see).
- BulletProof (or some shit like that, I'm detranslating): he was the coolness even without doing anything, with the glasses, the coat, and the "being a cyborg" stuff.
- The baddies: they were goofy but cool, (you wouldn't grow tired of them even if they seemed to be only 6 criminals in the whole city) and the guys were huge! (Turbo 2-tones must have been Zangief cousin or something)
- Gadget: guess why? the mini-copter and the extensible limbs were the best, and the car was cool too. I also like his coat
- Doctor Mad (or something like that): he was cool even if he only showed one (spiked, metal) hand! that must count for something! His cat was dead funny, too
I could go on for a while, but I'd like to hear other opinions first, so tell me! (please?)