Submitted by Xaviar Xerexes on January 28, 2008 - 09:51
- Our last article for the January issue is Brigid Alverson's column featuring interviews with rem, the winner of Kodanshaâ€™s Morning International Manga Competition for his webcomic Kage no Matsuri, and Eijiro Shimada, the editor-in-chief of the manga magazine Morning Two.
- Be kind to our sponsors: The Human Figure drawing course; Scriptorium Fonts; the novel Darkling and the webcomic The Vanguard.
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules continues to garner press and sales. Most of the stories on it I've read note its webcomic origins which is good for webcomics.
- A reminder that nomination ballots for the 2008 Harvey Awards are now online.
- A blog called WebcomicGeek is holding its second annual "Geekies" awards for best art, best writing, most originality and invention and webcomic of the year 2007. They've announced their "shortlist" and are interested in comments on who should win:
- Aaron Diaz for Hob
- Meredith Gran for Octopus Pie
- Rebecca Sugar for Pug Davis
- Jenny Romanchuk for The Zombie Hunters
- D.J. Coffman for Hero By Night
- Evan Dahm for Rice Boy
- Nicholas Gurewitch for The Perry Bible Fellowship
- Tom Siddel for Gunnerkrig Court
- David A J Berner and Harsho Mohan Chattoraj for Shades
- Joe Infurnari for The Process
- Klio for SPQR Blues
AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 BLOGS
- Lee Atchinson continues his series on webcomics at Sequential Tart. This time he focuses on the creators of Penny Arcade and their videogames for kids charity project: Child's Play.
Submitted by Xaviar Xerexes on October 30, 2007 - 13:35
- FLEEN scores an interview with Aaron Diaz, creator of Dresden Codak creator on his decision to quit his job and become a full-time webcomicker, merchandise, and what itâ€™s like leaping into the unknown.
- Zuda said it was going "live" today but so far... no webcomics to be found on the site.
- Webware profiles Zuda. (Not much "new" in this piece but if you've missed the recent hype about it's launch today...)
Justify My Hype
- Check out the wordless comic Washed Ashore by Kid Nemo. Cute.
- Also been meaning to plug the students n' sorcery webcomic AEther. Good stuff - check it out.
- In your mind's browser... clear your cache. Funny bit from The Joy Of Tech.
- Wonderella usually cracks me up but this one goes out of its way to go one more unexpected left turn to hilarity...
- From the archives: Teaching Baby Paranoia explains how government jobs are made...
- So I married a werewolf... Ryan Estrada has a funny one-shot comic up.
AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 BLOGS
- Hey, play Team Fortress 2 at the Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal server (80smachine.homeip.net port 27015).
- Top 87 "bad predictions" about the future. The humor potential is enormous...
- The blog Webcomics Asylum wants you to draw their mascot "Chimpy".
- Tom Spurgeon has 5 good stories about comics - a nice essay from Tom on appreciating some of what the current era of comics does have.
- Karas the Revelation - come on who wants to be winner #3?
Submitted by Xaviar Xerexes on October 12, 2007 - 21:05
I'm only doing one day of SPX this year (today) which is too bad because it was chockfull of cool people and good comics. I just got home from spending the afternoon there and I'll have a more "formal" (yes I'm making the air quote with my fingers in my head as I write that word) convention report later this weekend but I thought I'd do a quick post right now.
Join me in "read more" land if you dare!
Submitted by Xaviar Xerexes on January 28, 2007 - 14:10
The full list of nominations for the upcoming WCCAs is out - get the list here or click read more (the WCCA site is slow today so I copied it into this post here).