Every Day Can Be Like Christmas
Submitted by Iain Hamp on December 24, 2006 - 19:42
The classic holiday crooner Jon Bon Jovi once suggested that he wished every day could be like Christmas. I have heard people from outside of New Jersey also express a similar notion.
I presume these people arenâ€™t referring to songs about George Michael giving his heart to someone the previous Christmas who proceeded to throw it away. Nor do I suspect they yearn to clash eternally with a thousand soccer moms in the toy aisles while trying to make their way back to the electronics department at Target.
No, I imagine people wanting every day to be like Christmas comes down to some combination of the following:
- receiving kind gifts from people who care about you
- giving gifts to those we appreciate
- sending cards out to people we havenâ€™t communicated with as often as weâ€™d like
- celebrating the birth of Christ (if thatâ€™s what youâ€™re in to)
- volunteering or collecting food for the hungry, or giving toys to kids who canâ€™t afford them, etc. â€“ charitable works
- forgiving others (and if need be, yourself)
- spending quality time with family and friends sharing meals, playing games, etc.
I guess my point of all this isâ€¦ thereâ€™s really no reason any of these things should be limited to one day a year.
So enjoy your Christmas, one and all. And have a Merry January 17th too, just for the heck of it.