Work on Comixpedia: The Webcomics Encyclopedia
Submitted by Xaviar Xerexes on February 14, 2007 - 01:22
With all the recent hubbub over the webcomics deletion-fest at Wikipedia I've been motivated to put some long-simmering ideas about comixpedia.org into action. I finished several task tonight:
- Reworked the theme and the front page. We're using a modified version of the most familiar wikipedia theme now with a new logo designed by Tyler Martin. I've added feeds to the front page for Comixpedia news and the forum here for the encyclopedia project. The idea is to make the frontpage there a more interesting place to visit regularly and easier to find things everywhere on the site.
- Enable image uploads. You can now upload images directly to the comixpedia.org server (and automatic thumbnailing should work). Here's the official deal with images at comixpedia.org:
Images at Comixpedia.org are either used with the permission of the creator or are used under the fair use exception to U.S. copyright law. Images published at comixpedia.org should not be considered to be under the GNU Free Documentation License and third parties should not use such images without their own independent permission from such creators or another legal justification to do so under the prevailing copyright laws of their own jurisdiction.
We're going to (or already have) templates that you should display with images indicating whether the image is there with the permission of the creator or used under fair use. Every editor and user needs to be vigilant about only using images with proper permissions or this new image policy will be very short-lived. (External images are currently enabled - they will be disabled sometime in March)
- New adverts. We're running larger Project Wonderful ads and some google ads now. We could go to a donation model but I think this makes more sense right now and the (hopefully) extra change this brings in can help pay for some promotion of the fact that this project exists.
Additional things I am working on but see no reason not to talk about now:
- Branding. The webcomics encyclopedia is going to be called COMIXPEDIA (or THE COMIXPEDIA) and I'll be rebranding the news and everything else site at comixpedia.com this year. More on the rebranding of comixpedia.com fairly soon. Comixpedia is a perfect name for an encyclopedia about comics and this year is the time to make these changes.
- Scope. And this leads us to a question: what should the scope of THE COMIXPEDIA be? We started it as a webcomics encyclopedia in response to notability issues at Wikipedia. We can continue down that path. Another alternative I think we should consider is opening it up to all comics. I don't see a need to resolve that question immediately but I'd really like to start hearing everyone's opinion on the idea.
- Philosophy. I'll be writing a more detailed FAQ for comixpedia.org but I want to lay out in greater detail the reasons for this site. The most obvious one of course will be that "all (web)comics are notable" (or maybe we should phrase that as "f#ck notability!").
I hope all this is met positively. After the events at Wikipedia the last couple of months I think this site will be even more important as a resource and I want to help make the site worthy of its potential. There's still plenty of room for discussion, involvement and improvement though so if you have comments start posting here. Thanks.