The Book Backlog As Of End of January 2009
Submitted by Xaviar Xerexes on February 3, 2009 - 15:34
I've fallen far behind on ComixTalk tasks since the start of the new year - plan to catch up, but in the meantime I thought I'd post a list of the books I've gotten from publishers and authors that are in my to-do box on my desk:
- Pax Avalon by Steven "Reece" Friesen has an interesting looking cover (and included poster). I'm +1 predisposed to any comic with a strong female lead in it (which this appears to be), in part because I have two daughters and they should not have to always identify with a guy protagonist. Plus the press release from Herald Press says this is the "first graphic novel from a Mennonite publisher. Well alrighty then...
- Planet Saturday Comics by Monty Kane which is on the web but has a book out (Volume One) collecting several stories. It is a great comic, somewhere between Calvin and Hobbes and The Wonder Years but still very much it's own thing. Another one my daughers liked part of very much.
- Soul Chaser Betty by Brain "BMan" Babendererde which is a solid story of dream warriors with manga-flavored visuals. We should have an interview with the BMan this month on the site.
- Tales from Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan which is really an illustrated kids (young adult?) book. My daughters have read some of the stories and liked so I hope to get through all of it soon. Visually it's stunning and kind of makes me wish it was a true comic.
- French Milk by Lucy Knisley which is a journal comic about Lucy's stay in Paris France for a month.