Your Tuesday Webcomic Horn-O-Plenty
Submitted by Xaviar Xerexes on November 14, 2006 - 11:54
NEWS & VIEWS
- I finally got a copy of Zoinks! - the webcomics zine from publisher Bill Charbonneau (Largely this is my fault as I never asked for one before). The latest issue has a blurb on this year's Fright Night 8 (of which the logo looks decent on paper despite not being optimized for print). The latest news is that Zoinks! is postponing its next issue until April 2007. I don't know the reasons for that, but I can sympathize with how hard it is to keep any kind of zine/blog/magazine/website about webcomics running over the long haul. (It's hard!) Also, I'll try to write a bit about Zoinks itself soon.
- I may have linked to this before, but in part b/c of some of my own projects I had L33T-speak on the brain. Writer Response Theory reviewed a couple of books written in, if not exactly L33t-lingo, it's close cousin, Text Message-text. My own sense is that treating this as a legitimate dialect is fundamentally flawed as it is probably already well into self-parody status and therefore is probably best used only for parody or other humorous purposes. Thoughts from you?
- Fleen has a great interview with Danielle Corsetto, creator of Girls With Slingshots and who also does The New Adventures of Bat Boy for the Weekly World News
- Derik Badman doesn't buy that the comic adaptation of the 9/11 Report is one of the best comics of the year.
- Comics Worth Reading reviews Byron #1 and Whistles #1, two "digital only comics" from Slave Labor Graphics.
JUSTIFY MY HYPE
- The publisher Top Cow is serializing Freshman as a webcomic on DrunkDuck.com. Freshman appeared as a comic book in 2005.