The Small Press Expo (SPX), the preeminent showcase for the exhibition of independent comics, graphic novels, and alternative political cartoons, is pleased to announce two fundraising events that will occur at the 2011 festival.
Roz Chast original cartoons: New Yorker cartoonist Roz Chast, known for her single-panel cartoons, illustration work and children's books, will draw and sell original cartoons at the SPX signing table. Proceeds will be divided equally between SPX's new Graphic Novel Gift Program and the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund. Pen and ink drawings will be $25 and watercolor drawings $50; Ms. Chast will be drawing on Saturday, 1:30-3:30PM and 5-6:30PM, and on Sunday from Noon-1:30PM. Additionally, books will be available for purchase at the signing table from our good friends at Politics & Prose.
Jeff Alexander Memorial Benefit Auction: The Comic Book Legal Defense Fund and the organizers of SPX are proud to honor the memory of former SPX Executive Director Jeff Alexander by launching an annual benefit auction in his name. Jeff Alexander was a friend to the small press community, both as a cartoonist and an organizer of SPX and the Ignatz Awards. He passed away earlier this year.
The first annual Jeff Alexander Memorial Benefit Auction includes pieces from Jeff's personal collection that he donated to the CBLDF. Additional contributions have been donated by the SPX community, including Keith Knight, Raina Telgemeier, Jeffrey Brown and many more. The auction will happen Saturday, September 10, 2011 at 4:30 at SPX. Internet bids will be accepted by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org before Saturday afternoon at 1 PM ET.
Items available for auction include (Additional pieces have been pledged and will be added as their images are received):
- Hannibal King – Eyes Only page
- Charles Vess – Bone Prequel: Rose page signed by Charles Vess and Jeff Smith
- Tony Millionaire – Billy Hazelnuts page
- Pete Sickman Garner – Hey Mister page
- Roger Langridge – The Pest in the Vest (Homage to Dr Seuss) page
- Billy Tucci – Shi: Heaven and Earth, issue 4, page 25
- Jeffrey Brown – CBLDF Year In Review page
- Molly Crabapple – Mermaid
- Chynna Clugston-Flores pin-up
- Jonathan Ames & Dean Haspiel – Portrait of Ames screen print 5/5
- Peter Bagge – Pizza Scholar pencil drawing
- Camilla D'Errico – Caverns pin-up
- Bill Morrison – Simpsons pin-up
- Jeffrey Brown – Emerald City Comic-Con ad original art
- Ray Fawkes painting
- Jim Mahfood & David Mack painting
Comic Book Legal Defense Fund is a non-profit organization dedicated to the protection of the First Amendment rights of the comics artform and its community of retailers, creators, publishers, librarians, and readers. The CBLDF provides legal referrals, representation, advice, assistance, and education in furtherance of these goals.
SPX will be held Saturday, September 10 from 11am-7pm and Sunday, September 11, 12-6pm at The North Bethesda Marriott Convention Center in Bethesda, Maryland. Admission is $10 for a single day and $15 for both days.