Due to the closing of Smartgroups, the WCCA planning commitee has been forced to do a little last minute scramble to create their own, original voting system for this year. So, unfortunately, the actual nomination mechanism won't be in place until next Monday (January 8th). However this is a perfect opportunity for everyone to take the time to familiarize themselves with the categories and procedures. By taking this time to research and plan your nomination suggestions, you'll help us all by making the best choices possible to create the best results possible.
Every year the Web CartoonistsÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ Choice Awards draws more and more discussion and debate.Ã‚ Every single choice and decision is analyzed and debated, fought over and about; both by the committee members and through dozens of outside forums and discussion groups.Ã‚ Everyone has an opinion about our every move and it feels like we have to relive every fight a dozen times before weÃ¢â‚¬â„¢re able to move onto the next battle in a seemingly unending cycle.Ã‚
This year the Web Cartoonists' Choice Awards took a huge step forward by using for the first time our own, self-sufficient webhost and voting mechanisms. With any step this big there's bound to be some wobbling, but with the foundation set the future of the awards is ready to take off. And next year we already have even bigger and better challenges ready to take the WCCAs to a whole new level.
Every year it's the same, once the WCCA winners are announced there are a million ideas and suggestions of what should or shouldn't have happened, everyone seems to have an idea or suggestion about how they would have done it.Ã‚ However when it comes to actually stepping up and participating in the discussion, planning and execution of the awards, that same vocal group seems to disappear.
As I promised, here is a bit of back story about me, where I came from and what I have to offer.
I was born in a suburb of Grand Rapids MI in the early 60Ã¢â‚¬â„¢s and I began drawing as soon as I could hold a pencil. Art was always a main focus for me growing up and I took a special interest in animation. I was actually working on flip books as early as kindergarten. I began storyboarding ideas for short Ã¢â‚¬Å“moviesÃ¢â‚¬Â based on songs long before music videos were invented.
I know Xerexes said not to expect me until Tuesday, but since I had this ready, I figured it was worth taking a minute to introduce myself. But there will certainly be more news and information about the Web Cartoonists’ Choice Awards as the week progresses…
The Categories for the 2006 Web Cartoonists’ Choice Awards have been finalized. So now’s your chance to start thinking about which comics you believe should be nominated in each category for their performance during the previous year. This list can also be currently found at the WCCA website.
- Outstanding Newcomer – This is an award that acknowledges the best new comic of this year. Eligible candidates would be any comic that debuted within the last year.
- Outstanding Comic – This is the over all most outstanding comic most effectively using every element of the creative process; art, writing and technical. This is the category that best represents the collection of all of the other categories
- Outstanding Artist – This to award the artist whose body of work best demonstrates all of the visual elements of art including line, color, design and composition.
- Outstanding Writer – This award recognizes the author whose work best utilizes the elements of writing including character and plot development, exposition, pacing and atmospheric description.
- Outstanding Black and White Art – This award recognizes an online comic that makes use of highly successful black and white art.
- Outstanding Character Art – This award recognizes an artists’ skill at rendering the characters of an online comic during the previous year, where the visual flavor of the character design is effectively presented.
- Outstanding Environment Design – This award recognizes visual design work of environment, props, or setting of an online comic, where the visual flavor of the environmental design is highly successful.
- Outstanding Layout – This award recognizes an online comic whose art is notable for its highly successful compositional elements.
- Outstanding Use of Color – This award recognizes an online comic that has a highly successful use of color in its art. Continue Reading
The schedule has been finalized for this yearÃ¯Â¿Â½s Web CartoonistsÃ¯Â¿Â½ Choice Awards. We’re hoping for a great year with some exciting changes. So please keep watching the website at www.ccawards.com for more details.
The process will begin on May 15th when the nomination round begins. At this point, eligible cartoonists will be allowed to register and begin choosing nominees based on their work within the previous year. The nomination round will run until May 29th.
On next Friday’s (8/12) “Attack of the Show” on G4 TV Mark Mekkes will be appearing to talk about the Web Cartoonists’ Choice Awards and webcomics in general. The show airs live at 4pm Pacific/7pm Eastern (check your local listings). Continue Reading