Webcomic Nation is a new hosting service from Joey Manley (currently in beta testing). Manley provides lots more information in a thread at Talkaboutcomics.
In a nutshell though key features of the new service include:
(2) a newsletter service for distributing content through email.
(3) a greeting card feature to send electronic “cards.”
(4) a blog-like journal feature.
(5) a bookmark feature for readers allowing them to save their place in reading through archives.
(6) there will also be a portal for comics using the service that will promote hosted comics. (Manley has posted a work-in-progress screenshot of the portal page.)
(7) support for subscriptions and micropayment options for comics.
Other interesting innovations include ongoing renaming of comic files in system to defeat in-lining thieves.
Pet peeve, but why is the advertisement the largest thing on the page?
From reading the thread it looks like there will be no ads inposed on accounts (available to use if the account holder wants to – I assume that means they would collect from it).
There’s a big Modern Tales family banner on the “portal” pages, but not on the user’s pages.
Oops — above reply was meant to go to zwol.
We won’t be collecting money from banners on user’s pages. If users want to put banners on there, they will have to be premium members to get our automatic banner-management software installed. (If they don’t want to pay the premium price, they can hard-code banners, but they won’t have clickthrough or view statistics available). Basically, a user’s page is his/her own, they can sell banners to whomsoever they wish — and collect the money themselves. We won’t be involved in selling banners.
Comments are closed.